The Building Young People Project was undertaken as a pilot in 2013, appraising the housing needs of young people in Moffat and Langholm.
The Trust surveyed 212 young people aged 15 – 25 across the two communities and would like to thank them all for taking part, this thanks extends to the schools, colleges, youth clubs, local organisations and businesses that helped us reach the participants.
Nearly half the young people surveyed said that they would stay in their local area if they had suitable housing!
Please click on this link to access the results of the survey - Building Young People Report.
About our Project
This project is initially being run in Langholm and Moffat.
The Building Young People Project aims to:
- Engage with young people aged 15 – 25 to listen to their housing needs
- Signpost to support services if necessary
- Collate information that we can then use to try and create affordable housing solutions.
Our longer term goals are:
- to work with partners to establish a programme that will train young people, to build/ refurbish housing to meet their needs. Particularly those aged 15-25 not in Further Education or without employment.
- In the process they will be mentored in such a way that citizenship skills such as being a good tenant and/or neighbour will be established. This will give the young person training, experience and skills to take forward with them in life.
- Look at other viable housing solutions
Follow us on: